In many settings you can feel powerless, without that actually being the case. This post is not about those situations, but about those where you really are powerless, and have to accept whatever the current powers do and decide. Where you've come to the conclusion that you can't really affect the situation, and where you have to take shit. According to Ismo Leikola's video on the meanings of "shit", "taking shit" means:
to accept that someone is bullying you
Every situation is different, and there is surely better advice to be had, but here are a few ideas for how to think about the situation and what you can aim for.
- Even though you're worthy of fair and kind treatment by others, they might treat you poorly. This does not reflect your worth.
- You might have power in part of the situation. In particular, you probably have some power over how you react, by preparing for different outcomes.
- Depending on the situation, you may be able to "simply" walk away.
- Reach out to friends and others who might be able to help you.
- Through some lens, you might be able to view the situation as worldly, as not being among the things that really matter.
- It's possible to be cool and ignore what's going on. This is not easy to do, and sometimes even harmful, but it can be a way to protect yourself and your psyche.
Here's where I'd like to say that everything will work out for the better, but I don't know that for sure. Regardless, I and a whole host of people around you and on the internet care about you and wish you the best.